Saturday 4 April 2020

MY TRIP TO PRAGUE

Hilton Prague & Hilton Prague Old Town | LinkedIn

Prague | Destination MO | Christmas in Prague

During the Christmas holidays I spent four days in Prague, the fascinating capital city of the Czech Republic.
On the first day I went to Charles Bridge, a historic bridge which connects the Old Town and the New Town. After crossing that famous bridge I took a walk in Mala Strana District;  I went and saw John Lennon Wall which  is entirely covered in graffiti and lyrics from the Beatles' songs, and designs relating to local and global causes; I loved it so much because it was the meeting place for young local dissidents at the time of oppressive Communist Prague.

John Lennon Wall | 1pragueguide.com

Lennon Wall: authorities ban graffiti on Prague's symbol of free ...

On the second day I woke up early to visit Prague Castle. It is huge and there are lots of things to see such us gorgeous buildings, churches and towers. It seems to be in a fairy-tale fortress indeed! At lunchtime I ate in a small square and it was very nice because there was music and typical Czech food. I really enjoyed walking along the Golden Lane, a picturesque alley full of small colourful houses which have now turned into shops.

Prague Castle Tour In Detail - Prague, Czech Republic | Gray Line

Praga: visita dettagliata di 3 ore al Castello - Praga, Repubblica ...

Every evening I went out looking for a typical restaurant and then I went for a walk in Old Town Square, where I loved to stop and admire the Astronomical Tower and I waited and watched the Astronomical Clock to chime the hour: in fact, every hour (from 9.00 a.m. to 11.00 p.m.), the procession of the Twelve Apostles sets in motion  - 12 apostles pass by the window above the astronomical dial and symbolic sculptures move aside.

Eating out in Prague | Radisson Blu

Prague seeks restrictions on Airbnb to combat overtourism

File:Lascar Pražský orloj (Prague Astronomical Clock) (4502252142 ...

On the third day I visited the Ghetto with the various synagogues, the Jewish Museum and the Old Jewish Cemetery. I was really impressed, I liked discovering Jewish history, I liked the synagogues, but what struck me most was the cemetery. The Jews were forced to live in the Ghetto, so even the cemetery could not be enlarged. For this reason they would take mud from the river and they continued to bury one above the other. Today the cemetery has up to eight  layers of coffins one above the other and the height reached by the tombstones is equivalent to the third floor of the neighbouring buildings. Those headstones carved in Hebrew represent centuries of history that has been preserved.

Josefov, il quartiere Ebraico di Praga. Le sinagoghe e il cimitero ...

Prestige Prague Tour on Twitter: "The mysterious Jewish Cemetery ...

That evening I had a  “Mysterium Tour” of the city. The guide had a long cloak and a lantern and accompanied us through the narrow streets of Prague telling us about  the mysterious legends of the city. The legend that I liked the most was about plague. It was the legend of a man who, on a winter’s night, knocked at the door of Agatha’s inn. Agatha let him in, after lighting the fire in the room, she started screaming, because she looked at the man from under his big hood and saw a skeleton. A servant heard her shout and entered the room, the man was gone and Agatha was lying on the ground with buboes on her face. That man was the personification of plague, and Agatha had been infected unfortunately.
I spent the last day shopping. In the morning I went to Old Town Square, full of shops and stalls, to buy my last presents, then I went to the airport ready to fly back home.
I recommend visiting Prague, because it is a magical city. It’s rich in art and culture and, among other things, it’s very easy to visit. I was really happy to spend a couple of days there and discover its captivating stories, legends and mysteries. I hope I will visit Prague  again, possibly in summer!


Camilla Scatigni, 4^C Linguistico

No comments:

Post a Comment