Monday 16 March 2020

MY TRIP TO NEW YORK

Risultato immagini per new york


Last summer I went to the fascinating city of New York and it was an amazing experience. Coming from a small town, seeing that vast and chaotic city, always full of people, was really weird. I went there on a study trip for two weeks, the other students and I were all divided into groups, each with its own group-leader. The first thing I noticed was that on my other trips I always had to walk in line, but in New York it was literally impossible!  Sidewalks are huge, but there are too many people around and apparently New Yorkers are always in a hurry, so we bumped into lots of them lots of times!


During the first week we visited Little Italy and Chinatown in Manhattan, the Metropolitan Museum of Art; we also went to Central Park, Wall Street with its ‘’Charging Bull’’ and the 9/11 Memorial Museum which was my favourite because it was really emotional. The heart of this monument is Ground Zero with its two pools, ‘’The Reflecting Pools’’, which cover the exact footprints of the original Twin Towers and all the victims’ names are carved on the bronze parapets. At the entrance of the museum there was a dark atmosphere, the only light was that of some video projections of the immense tragedy caused by the terrorist attack and there were also recordings of some calls made by the victims. I had full body chills when we heard, through the handsets, how desperate they were. Inside there are remnants of the Twin Towers, images and videos of the attack and five  huge walls covered with all the victims' photos and objects.
Another place in New York  which I enjoyed a lot was the Empire State Building. At first I was terrified because of my fear of heights, but on the 86th floor the amazing view of  “the Big Apple” cleared my mind of all negative thoughts. On Sunday we went to Washington D.C., the capital city of the United States, where I could admire The White House, Jefferson and Lincoln Memorial, the National Mall and The Campidoglio.
I also liked the American Museum of Natural History in New York, especially because I had seen the movie ‘’Night at the Museum’’ which is set there and I could take a picture with ‘’Gum-Gum’’, one of the main characters. 
It was also great  to see the Statue of Liberty, in fact we took a ferry for Liberty Island and then we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge.  
Times Square, the heart of the city, was simply unmissable! We went there at night and were surrounded by big screens, incredible lights, giant shops and skyscrapers. People were everywhere and there were road shows and folks in disguises. There I clearly understood  why New York is called ‘’the city that never sleeps’’.
To sum up, the place I enjoyed  the least was the Guggenheim Museum since I’m not a big fan of modern art, but there were some works I loved and some others I wanted to see like Amedeo Modigliani's “Jeanne Hébuterne with Yellow Sweater”.
No doubt it was one of the best experiences in my life, I’ll never forget New York and I hope I will go back there one day.

Elisa  Tranquilli,  4^C  Linguistico



No comments:

Post a Comment